Saturday, January 19, 2013

embroidery love.

Hi! My name is Emily. My husband, Zac, and I started CoupleJones.com. We are so excited to visit A Little Artsy today! We have been married for almost 10 years and have 3 crazy little girls. We both love design and art - he is a designer and I am a stay at home mom who loves photography, sewing, and random crafts that I get a bee in my bonnet about trying. This is my take on embroidery -
IMG_7151
Several years ago, we moved from our first teeny little house. For a little over 3 months after, we had to rent while we waited for our new home to be built. We wanted to save as much money as possible so we rented a one bedroom apartment - it was us and our two year old and as much stuff as wouldn't fit in our cheap storage unit squeezed into a VERY small space and the sewing machine did not make the cut. So I decided to try embroidery for the first time.
That doesn't mean I researched the correct way to do it or anything...that's not really my style. I just sat down and tried it. I probably still don't know the "right" way to do it but it's an easy enough thing to sit down and experiment with and get going. Let's just call my method, Embroidery for Slackers :)
IMG_7184
Our kids are hilarious (in our humble opinion) and I've been trying to find fun ways to memorialize the funny things they say. My Middlest came up with a JEWEL a few weeks ago that STILL makes me laugh when I think about it...and so I thought "embroider it", OBVIOUSLY- duh.
Sorry if the word "toot" is offensive. I think it's hilarious. My Oldest was teaching the Middlest to play "Rock, paper, scissors, shoot" and our middle girl got so excited to be playing that she got a little mixed up and yelled "Rock! Paper! Snickers! Toot!" and HILARITY ensued. Ha! If you don't have kids around to say funny things, you can also use your favorite song lyrics or quotes.
IMG_7058
These are detail pictures of the quilt I was working on when we were in that little apartment. I drew some of our daughter's favorite book characters and then embroidered them and used them as quilt squares for her big girl quilt when we moved her from her crib. It is so fun, I am so glad I tried it! QuiltcollageThis is a really easy thing to pick up and try so I am including some close ups of the stitches I used on these two pieces. I also am giving away the light bulb pattern for free in case anyone wants to use it. Click over to our SHOP to download the Pdf and then simply place your fabric over the print out and trace.
This would be an easy pattern for a child to try out as well if anyone has elementary aged kiddos who are interested in learning to sew.
embroidery2
Couplejonesprojects3
Thanks for reading! I hope you give this a try if it looks like fun! Thank you so much, Casey, for having us! Em couplejones.com

No comments:

Post a Comment